About Bowness-on-Windermere & Windermere
Bowness-on-Windermere - or Bowness as it's usually known - is a bustling little town next to Windermere lake which has grown extensively since the opening of the Kendal to Windermere railway in 1847. As in much of the Lake District, a number of the town's hotels that overlook the gorgeous lake were originally built for Lancashire businessmen who commuted to their mills and factories.
However Bowness goes back much further than Victorian times. St.Martin's Church (pictured right) was built in 1483. In 1870 the Church was restored and enlarged by celebrated Lancashire architects Paley and Austin and its outstanding feature is the East window, with some of its glass dating from the 15th Century.
Inside you'll also find a 13th Century font, a statue of St. Martin, an ancient oak chest from the 17th Century, ancient books and George III's Royal Coat of Arms plus fabulous stained glass windows. Behind the church is a web of narrow streets which is the oldest part of Bowness-on-Windermere.
Bowness is the ideal place to take a boat ride on Lake Windermere. Steamers and launches sail daily throughout the year stopping at Ambleside and Lakeside. There are connections in season for Brockhole, the Steam Railway, Fell Foot and Ferry House plus seasonal evening and Jazz / Buffet Cruises.
See Things to Do in Bowness and Windermere for more information